Sunday, October 25, 2009

Week One - Oh that's right, I'm here for school...


I thought the first two weeks were a flash, until Week One (Oct 12-18, or the first week of CLASS!) rolled around. Then I knew I had it easy those first few weeks of unpacking (and repacking all my bikini's and flippy floppies), getting settled, and attending daily dorm social events (generally involving going to the common room for (a) free food (b) cider (c) dancing to Jay-Z spun by our British DJ - who has never heard of Flo Rida [travesty] which I learned when I tried to request my tunes - while clothed in the evening's theme costume). Week One was insanely hectic. I attended my first three classes, which means I did hours of prepping for them (i.e. reading tons of books on the reading list, writing essays, and putting together powerpoint presentations - already!) I learned all about the educational systems in China, Mongolia, and Korea from my fellow students, and told them all about the US system and the fabulousness of law school. (Fab being used loosely here.) Then we got to know our teachers a little better during our Wednesday tea time. We literally take a break every Wednesday in the middle of class to have tea and biscuits - now this really deserves the "fab" title. Digestive biscuits in the middle of class. Ah, Oxford -- I love you. And I was shocked when my teacher literally sat down next to all of us students on a stoop to chat and biscuit eat with us. I'm not used to that informality - it was so nice and refreshing. I was so excited about attending class this week that I was even on time; wait, let me rephrase... I was not only "on time," but I was the first one there, at least for my first two classes. For those of you that know me well, you know this is highly abnormal and thus a major accomplishment for the V. Fear not though, I haven't totally changed yet -- I quickly ruined my "on time" record by day 3. I ran in to class late thanks to a fun British rainstorm that conveniently started in the middle of my walk -- I entered class looking like I had just hopped out of a pool. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment