Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Week Five - eating pancakes, butter, and glue and sculpting busts

This week, we celebrated Pancake Day! Basically, on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday (when Lent and fasting begin), the UK celebrates Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, by devouring a ton of pancakes with lots of crazy toppings. Seems contrary to prepare for fasting by pancake-bingeing, but who am I to argue with a holiday that involves chocolate pancakes? Apparently, this tradition started about 1000 years ago when folks decided that fasting season should be kicked off with a massive party where people ate at much fatty food as possible. Mardi Gras or 'Fat Tuesday" has the same origin - crazy right? My College advertised this event as a chance (no joke) for "all of us to eat ourselves stupid", so all the dorms got together to cook the traditional pancakes. We flipped some nutella-loaded pancakes and covered them with toppings both sweet and savory -- we're talking everything from berries and cream to onions and meat. I'll take a meat pancake for dinner any day. Good stuff. I plan on celebrating Pancake Day in the States -- I predict it will be a hit. Americans love celebrations involving food.

Also this week, I had another sculpting class! Unlike the last class where we sculpted a whole person (remember my little naked lady sculpture?), in this class we sculpted busts. We once again had a live model, and despite the fact that this time, she was fully clothed, I again had a tough time staring at her. I was always taught that was impolite -- old habits die hard. So, my lady bust might have suffered. In fact, I may have unknowingly compensated for the lack of staring by using my own likeness to sculpt the face, as my teacher walked up to my bust and said: 'you know, the first time people sculpt heads, they tend to sculpt themselves.' Now, I took this as a compliment (as I don't think I'm totally unfortunate looking), until she said, about a minute later: 'You know, it's interesting -- your bust looks like a man.'

Here's a pic of me sculpting my man-lady.

The compliments from Sue, my teacher, didn't stop there though. She was on fire that day. The next memorable comment/constructive criticism was: "She (or He, not sure at this point) looks good from the back." Since I had spent 99% of my time focusing on the face, and hadn't touched the back of the head (which, btw, had started to sag from the weight of the extra-large hair bun I gave Lady Bust to eliminate any doubt as to her femininity), you can see how this might be disconcerting.

Needless to say, I breathlessly await Lady Bust's arrival post-firing, as I'm sure she/he looks way better than I remember from Sue's comments. All joking aside though, I do have to tell you Sue's final comment at the end of class, when she was gazing at Lady-Man Bust before stuffing her in the transport box: "You're wasted on the law." She really thinks this kid has talent. That really meant something. She can call Lady Bust a man anyday.

That day was full of art for me (despite the fact that I had a 3,000 word essay due the next day that was about, oh, 20 words of the way there), as I also went to a mosaic making class! I was in heaven. I mosaic-ed (still not sure of proper terminology here, clearly) a mirror with bright-colored tiles. I thought it was very pretty, and my instructor did to (you see a theme here?) She said I had natural talent for this and 'quite the eye for color.' Don't worry though, my head isn't getting too big. As soon as I got home with it to proudly display the artistic genius to Will, he deflated my big head by asking if I got it from the kid's craft fair. (Due to that little quip, I didn't feel bad when our flatmate later asked him if he cut his own hair.)

I biked home carrying the mosaic (I mean, 'artistic genius') in one hand, while (shockingly!) it was raining, so my art was soaked by the time I got home. When the glue started to weaken and chunks of tile started to slide, I panicked and got the hair drier out. I know, I'm dedicated to my craft, be it kid's-craft-fair mosaics or Lady-Man Busts.

Later that night, I went to a formal dinner at Linacre, where I discovered what my 'third' would be in my series of 'bad' things to happen that day.
#1 was in the morning when I went to button the last button on my coat and all the buttons popped off. I think it was God's way of telling me to lay off the pancakes.
#2 was in the afternoon during mosaic-ing, when I was deep in (artistic genius) thought and raised what I thought was my panini to my mouth only to discover I raised the hand with the gluestick instead. When I saw the look of horror on the girl's face across from me as I was about to chomp into glue, I realized my error and tried to pretend I was sniffing it instead. In retrospect, I'm not sure which was worse. That's so genius-y, eh?
#3 was at the dinner when I bit into a what I thought was a big chunk of brie only to discover that it was in fact butter. In one bite, I consumed my caloric intake for the day. I think it would have been healthier to eat the glue.

Finally, we capped off the week with a trip to London with the Rotary Club. They took us on a fantastic walking tour around the city (through which I walked off my butter-eating calories) and we just fell in love with the city.

'Look kids, Big Ben!'

The Snyders do London.

No comments:

Post a Comment