Friday, December 18, 2009

Week Eight: Michaelmas Term, you're over already??

Unbelievable. Our first 8-week term (Michaelmas) came to an end. I am still trying to put my head around all the things that happened in these last 8 weeks -- so much schoolwork, adjusting to life in the UK (and in the dorms) to the point that this is starting to feel like home, and making friends with whom I have rowed, sculpted, studied, CR-gossiped, clubbed, dined, danced, bopped, and bonded. It was quite a term. SO can't wait for Hilary term (the next one) to start. In the meantime, here's what happened week ocho...

Monday night we had the Boat Club Dinner, so both the boys and girls rowing teams got together for a very nice Christmas dinner at the University Club. We all had these little present-looking boxes on our plates -- when you pulled them on both ends (you and a friend each pulling a side, like a wish-bone), a prize popped out, most of which involved a tissue-paper crown, hence the corny photos. The dinner was lovely - good company and good food (turkey, stuffing, gravy -- I finally had my Thanksgiving dinner). We gave our coaches presents and talked about the next term of rowing (and the BIG decision we have as to whether we're going to try to row for the senior girl's rowing team -- as this term was just for the novices. It'll be intense, and a LOT more training -- in the snow, and ice. After a week of contemplation though, I decided to go for it. Even if I don't make the A-boat -- unlikely given my twig-like arms; they're looking for sequoias -- the exercise, social outlet, and girl-bonding will be worth it.) (Oh, second big decision, whether we're willing to pose for the Rowing Girls Calendar. You think I'm joking? Just wait for next term...)

All of us at dinner..
.
Me and Kine in aforementioned head decor...

The Linacre Ladies boat club...

So after the dinner, we all headed to the Linacre Common Room where we had a few pints and participated in the traditional Rowing Club "Boat Race". (see pic above) This is a boys v. girls competition where all the girls line-up on one side with half-pints, and all the boys line-up on the other with pints, and then -- you guessed it -- we see, relay-race style, who can finish their booze first. What a blast!
PS) The girls totally kicked butt. Duh.

The rest of the week involved a TON of remaining classes, lectures, and essay writing. I wrote over 7,000 words in a two-week span (about 22 pages for those of you out of school and far from the concepts of word-counting...I now have a unique ability to gauge, within 10 words, how many words are on a page...I hope this skill will prove useful in my future endeavors, although, other than using it in some strange street-performance act, I'm struggling to come up with how). I also had a few Myron Rolle sightings in the park, again. I was a half-second away from just saying "hey", but thought better of it and realized if a mutual friend introduces me, it would be better than me looking like the park stalker.

On Thursday, Will and I had date night where we had a fabulous dinner at Branca, and then headed to famous G&D's for the best ice cream (Bailey's flavored) I've ever had. And yes, the 30 degree weather is not going to stop me from getting my ice cream fix. I'll fight through the pain for dessert any day.

On Friday, I got my first British haircut at Mahogany (super fancy salon) and made my stylist, Paul, tear up from laughter when I was describing how I wanted my "bangs" cut. They call it "fringe" here apparently, and since "bangs" has a sexual connotation, it was a confusing (and comical) description for him. How do you say "awkward" in British?

Then, with my new do, I headed to Linacre's Winter Wonderland party. All I have to say is: they had an ice luge. How do you say "freaking awesome" in British? Best. Night. Ever.

On Saturday, yet another bop at St. Anthony's. And on Sunday, quiz -n-curry night at Far From the Madding Crowd! It was awesome. Why? Because this time, we brought Will's new British friends along (can you say "ringers"?) They knew all the quirky British trivia (including knowledge of Brit 90's boy bands -- yes, shocking since they are all boys, rugby stats, and Churchill's middle name). Despite this wealth of English knowledge, we still ended up middle of the pack. It was so much fun though, that we think this might become a weekly thing... now I just have to recruit more students of various nationalities and areas of study. Sisti-Snyders don't lose!!

Oh, and one more thing to add to the "you know you're in college when" list...

1. At 4am on a few random Tuesdays, you literally roll off your tiny twin-sized bed and hit the floor. I was eating carpet before I even knew what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment