So the big race finally arrived -- the Christ Church Regatta! We arrived to the boathouse Wednesday (day 1 of the 4 day competition) pumped and ready to row (literally, the girls were singing the Rocky theme song as we placed the boat in the water). We were racing Pembroke B, a good team, so we had to bring our A-Game. After ramming into a few boats (the water levels were starting to rise, and it started to rain!) we got to the starting line, and waited for the GO! And then, we were off! We were calm (unlike the last regatta) and strong...and quickly passed Pembroke. Unfortunately, Pembroke, half way through the race, rammed into another boat, so the race stopped. But even once we restarted, (and they managed to keep their boat from colliding), we totally kicked their butts! Race one - total victory. This of course, got us totally pumped for the next round on Thursday...

Ready to race!

Looks closer than it was...

After the big win!

The college came to cheer us on...
Extremely sadly, however, the rest of the regatta was cancelled due to rising water levels. I was incredibly disappointed, but it was out of our control, so I had to move on. I'm so grateful I at least got to row in a few races before it was called off -- I'm lucky in that regard. And it's only making me want to row even more next term...
Next term, bumps races are on the agenda. That's when you literally try to ram into the boat in front of you to win. Of course, I think this sounds absolutely awesome. Count me in!
No comments:
Post a Comment