Monday, November 23, 2009

The Big Race

All that hard work rowing finally paid off -- I made the "A Boat" for our first regatta, the Nephthys Regatta!! I was beyond excited. I had an absolute blast preparing for the big day (all the girls got matching socks with Linacre colors). We got to the Isis River an hour or so early to warm up and get our boat to the starting line. I had butterflies as we got in place for the race and they started calling the "Attention!" instructions so that we would square our blades for the start. And then, we were off! We were strong and steady the first race, and completely killed the competition (poor ladies of Wolfson College!) You can see the video here -- it was just ridiculously cool. I'm the third seat from the back (the power seat! aw yeah. which should be comical for anyone who has seen my "muscles.")



So we made it to the second round. Our second race, however, was a little messier. The New College girls were tough, and beat us by half a boat length. They went on to win the race, however, so we couldn't feel too terrible about it. That was probably my favorite experience in Oxford thus far. Competing in a rowing race for my college made me feel incredibly proud and like I was really a part of a team. I've missed that.

Our "A Boat" Crew (Lila, Tamara, Alyssa, Melissa, Hannah, me, Franciska, and Erica -- in seat order!) holding our coxswain (Daniel).

Check out those socks!

Our crew before the race...

Hanging out at the Boat House.

The second race -- look how close it is!

We celebrated that night by hanging out in the Common Room for refreshments and going to the Celler. And on Sunday night, we watched True Blue, a movie about the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race... we did this to psych ourselves up for the HUGE Christ Church Regatta which starts on Wednesday of Week 7!!! I'm SO excited!!! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment