Sunday, April 04, 2010

Week Eight - Vic moves in.

Week Eight was my last week of classes. Thus, I have officially taken my last class as a student (or so my parents hope). I cannot believe how quickly Michaelmas and Hilary Terms just flew by; now only Trinity Term remains, during which I'll take exams and write my dissertation. You know how sometimes you wish you could just freeze time at a certain point and sloooooow things down? Well, now is that time for me.

So, this week, in addition to sitting through my last class with Hubert (one of the best teachers I've had, due to his extensive knowledge on the subject, eagerness to impart it upon us, and concern for our well-being), I met with Peter, the Christ Church art tutor, to discuss taking more artsy classes and to pick up my lady-man bust. Please allow me to introduce you to Vic:



Her eyes were freaking Will out during his 3am bathroom runs, so we decided to cover those bad boys with some shades. (The bandana and hat were later additions, to complete her look.) It would be a gross understatement to say that I'm slightly concerned that my art teacher said she/he resembled me, but other than that, I'm pleased with the bust's final look. She/he looks pretty realistic, enough that her stare gave Will the willies. We had to name her, so we chose a classic English royal name (Victoria) that was also the name of our fav pub (The Vic), and androgynous, for obvious reasons. Thus, Vic was born.

Speaking of birthdays, I finally discovered Henry I's actual birthday during a routine check-up. He started making some random squeaking noises, so I took him in, and while he was being primped, I asked the bike dude when he thought Henry was made. Bike Dude stared Henry up and down, and then said, "November 1980." Amazed, I said, "Wow, could you tell that from the parts or something?" And he said, "Well, yes, that, and the fact that the date is printed on the spoke." Doh. I felt about as embarrassed at that moment as I did an hour earlier when I sat on Henry's seat without noticing that a bird had just relieved himself on it. In short, Bike Dude had two things to laugh at as I walked out of the shop with Henry: my inability to observe the obvious and my bird-poop-covered-butt.

Other amusing things (maybe just to me) that happened this week:

1) I went to a 50's Bop in the Linacre CR where I witnessed adult males attempt to hula hoop to the beat of Grease Lightning. Frightening what people will do under the influence of beer and broadway musicals.

2) We discovered that one of our friends is actual royalty, a 'Lady', as her mom is a princess. No joke, her godmother is Princess Diana. I then spent a few hours trying to figure out if there was anyway I could get some random royal person (even someone like 826th in line for the throne - beggars can't be choosers) to adopt me. Princess Big V has such flair, no?

3) I tried to figure out a way to get us to Spain for the running of the bulls in July. If anyone has ideas for where to stay for this event, pass them along as I'm all ears. I didn't realize this was like the Spanish superbowl; the hostels have been booked since last year's run. And don't worry, Mom, I'll be careful whilst bull running. I've already researched safety tips, my favorite of which is: "take the corners tight, as the bulls are going to go wide." See? Not to worry. I have a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment